The holiday season is in full swing, and that means it’s time for festive drinks! This Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash is the perfect drink to help get you into the Christmas spirit.
It’s easy to make, and it tastes delicious. Plus, it’s perfect for parties or gatherings with friends and family. So, if you’re looking for a new festive drink to try this year, be sure to give this Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash a try!
What is chai? A brief history
Chai is a cranberry spice Christmas tea. Its name is derived from the cranberry plant, which is native to North America.
The cranberry plant was used by the Native Americans to make a tea called “chawgwass,” which was later adapted by the colonists and renamed “chai.”
Chai was introduced to England in the early 18th century, where it quickly became popular. In the United States, chai became widely available in the early 21st century.
It is typically made with black tea, milk, and spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves. Chai can be enjoyed hot or cold and is often served with a slice of lemon or a dollop of honey.
Why You’ll Love Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash Recipe
- The Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash is the perfect holiday cocktail! It’s festive, flavorful, and easy to make.
- This cocktail is made with fresh cranberries, chai tea, bourbon, and orange liqueur. The flavors come together beautifully and make for a very refreshing drink.
- The Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash is also a great way to use up any leftover cranberries you may have from Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- This cocktail is perfect for holiday parties or any other festive occasion. It’s sure to be a hit with your guests!
- To make the Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash, simply combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve the cocktail over ice and garnish with fresh cranberries and orange zest.
Ingredients You need for Cranberry Bourbon Smash
1. 1-ounce bourbon
Bourbon is a type of American whiskey that is made from a mash of at least 51% corn. It is typically aged in oak barrels for a minimum of two years and often has a distinctively sweet, smoky flavor.
Bourbon has been produced in Kentucky since the late 18th century, and today it is one of the state’s most iconic products.
2. 1-ounce fresh cranberry juice
Cranberry juice is a popular choice for holiday cocktails, as it adds a festive touch to any drink. It can also be enjoyed on its own or mixed with other juices or soda water.
Cranberry juice is a good source of Vitamin C, and it also contains antioxidants and other nutrients that can help boost your immune system.
3. 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
Fresh lime juice is a delicious and refreshing way to add flavor to a wide variety of dishes.
The tartness of the lime complements the sweetness of fruits and the richness of meats, making it a versatile ingredient that can be used in both sweet and savory recipes.
4. 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
Superfine sugar is a type of granulated sugar that dissolves more quickly than standard granulated sugar. This makes it ideal for use in recipes where a smooth texture is desired, such as meringues and frostings.
5. 2 dashes of orange bitters
Orange bitters are a type of cocktail bitter made from the peel of oranges. They are used to add flavor and complexity to cocktails, as well as to provide a pleasant aroma.
6. Club soda
Club soda is a type of carbonated water that often contains minerals and salt. It is frequently used as a mixer for alcoholic beverages, as the carbonation can help to enhance the flavors of the drink.
7. Fresh cranberries (for garnish)
Fresh cranberries are in season from October through December, making them a perfect addition to holiday dishes.
Cranberries are tart and tangy, with a slightly sweet taste that pairs well with rich meats such as turkey and pork.
8. Lime wedge (for garnish)
The lime wedge is a common garnish for cocktails and other drinks, but it also has several practical uses.
Step By step instructions for the Cranberry Bourbon Smash recipe
In a shaker, muddle 4-5 fresh cranberries.
Add 1 oz bourbon, 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 oz simple syrup.
Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
Strain into a glass filled with fresh ice. 5) Garnish with a fresh cranberry (optional). Enjoy!
Expert Tips for Cranberry Bourbon Smash recipe
- Use good quality bourbon- You want to use a good quality bourbon for this recipe so that the flavor of the bourbon really comes through. I like to use Maker’s Mark or Knob Creek bourbon.
- Muddle the cranberries- You want to muddle the cranberries so that they release their juices and flavor into the drink. I like to use a wooden muddler so that I don’t end up pulverizing the cranberries.
- Add a splash of orange juice- The orange juice adds a nice sweetness and acidity to the drink. I like to use fresh squeezed orange juice, but you can also use store-bought orange juice.
- Use fresh rosemary- The rosemary really enhances the flavor of the drink and makes it taste more complex. I like to use fresh rosemary, but you can also use dried rosemary if you don’t have any fresh on hand.
- Let the drink sit for a few minutes- After you add all of the ingredients, let the drink sit for a few minutes so that the flavors have a chance to meld together. This will make for a more well-rounded drink.
- Garnish with cranberries and rosemary- I like to garnish my Cranberry Bourbon Smash with cranberries and rosemary because it looks pretty and it tastes good too!
- Enjoy!- This is the most important step! Make sure to enjoy your Cranberry Bourbon Smash responsibly 🙂
Perfect Pairing Cranberry Bourbon Smash
The perfect pairing for any holiday feast, this Cranberry Bourbon Smash will have your guests begging for more. Made with just a few simple ingredients, this delicious cocktail is perfect for any occasion.
With bourbon, cranberries, orange juice, and a touch of sugar, this drink is sure to please. The tartness of the cranberries pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the orange juice, while the bourbon adds a smooth and smoky flavor.
So whether you’re serving up a holiday feast or just looking for a festive cocktail to enjoy, this Cranberry Bourbon Smash is a perfect choice. Cheers!
Q1. Do cranberry and whiskey go together?
Cranberry and whiskey are a classic holiday combination. The tartness of the cranberries complements the smoky flavor of the whiskey, and the two ingredients also happen to be festive colors.
While some people prefer to drink their cranberry and whiskey neat, others like to mix the two ingredients to create a Cranberry Whiskey Sour.
These cocktails combine whiskey, lemon juice, and sugar syrup with cranberries, creating a balance of sweet and sour flavors.
Q2. What whiskey goes well with cranberry juice?
As any bartender knows, there are many different ways to mix whiskey and cranberry juice. The key is to find a balance between the tartness of the cranberries and the sweetness of the whiskey.
One popular option is to mix equal parts of each ingredient. For a more traditional drink, try using two parts whiskey to one part cranberry juice. If you prefer a sweeter drink, increase the ratio of cranberry juice to whiskey.
You can also experiment with different types of whiskey to find the flavor that you like best. For a smooth and mellow drink, try using a bourbon whiskey.
Q3. What drinks are made from tequila and cranberry juice?
The most well-known drink made with tequila and cranberry juice is the Margarita. This refreshing cocktail is traditionally made with lime juice, tequila, and triple sec and garnished with a lime wedge.
However, there are many variations on the Margarita, and some bartenders may use cranberry juice in place of lime juice. Other popular drinks made with tequila and cranberry juice include the Cranberry Crush and the Cranberry Wave.
The Cranberry Crush is a mix of tequila, cranberry juice, lemonade, and club soda, while the Cranberry Wave is a blend of tequila, cranberry juice, and orange juice.
Whether you’re in the mood for a tart or sweet drink, mixing tequila and cranberry juice is a surefire way to satisfy your cravings.
Q4. Does Scotch go with cranberry juice?
The short answer is no. While adding a little bit of cranberry juice to your Scotch may not ruin the taste, it’s not going to enhance it either.
The strong flavor of cranberry juice is likely to overpower the delicate flavor of Scotch. If you’re looking for a way to add a bit of sweetness to your drink, try adding a splash of club soda or ginger ale instead.
The bubbles will help to cut through the alcohol, and the sweetness will complement the Scotch without overwhelming it. Cheers!
Q5. What glass do you serve a Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash in?
When it comes to serving a Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- First, the drink should be served cold, so be sure to use a glass that has been chilled ahead of time.
- Second, the cocktail is best enjoyed in a tall glass, such as a Collins glass or a highball glass. This will give you plenty of room to add ice and garnish the drink with cranberries.
- Finally, don’t forget the straw!
Q6. How many calories are in a Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash?
According to the nutrition information on Starbucks’ website, a grande Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash has 250 calories.
This includes 100 calories from fat, 15 grams of fat, 9 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 35 milligrams of cholesterol, 160 milligrams of sodium, 32 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, 25 grams of sugar, and 3 grams of protein.
Q7. Is a Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash a winter or summer drink?
As the weather starts to cool off and the days grow shorter, many people begin to crave warm, wintery drinks. But what about those who prefer something on the refreshing side?
For them, a Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash might be a perfect choice. This unique cocktail combines the warm spices of chai with the tangy flavor of cranberries and the smooth richness of bourbon.
The result is a complex and well-rounded drink that can be enjoyed any time of year.
Q8. What are some variations of the Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash?
The Chai Cranberry Bourbon Smash is a refreshing twist on the classic bourbon smash cocktail. The addition of chai tea and cranberry juice adds a unique flavor profile to the drink, while the bourbon provides a smooth and slightly sweet finish.