Do you love smoked bacon but don’t want to pay the high prices restaurants charge? Well, now you can enjoy restaurant-style smoked bacon at home with this easy recipe.
The best part is that it’s affordable and only takes a few minutes to prepare. So, what are you waiting for? Try this delicious recipe today!
What is Smoked Bacon?
Smokey bacon is one of the most delicious and versatile ingredients you can find in the grocery store. It can be used to add flavor to all kinds of dishes, from breakfast sandwiches to pasta carbonara.
Smokey bacon is made by curing pork belly with salt, sugar, and Smokey paprika. The pork belly is then smoked over hickory wood chips for several hours.
Homemade Smoked Bacon
It’s simply bacon that has been cured and then smoked. The curing process involves using salt, sugar, and other spices to flavor the meat and help preserve it. It can be done either by dry-curing or wet-curing.
Once the bacon has been cured, it’s then placed in a smoker, where it slowly cooks until it reaches the perfect level of smokiness.
Best Way To Cure Bacon
The best way to cure bacon is to soak it in water overnight. It will help to remove some of the saltiness from the bacon. Another way to cure bacon is to hot-smoke it.
This process will give the bacon a more subtle flavor that is not as overwhelming as traditional smoked bacon.
If you are looking for a smoked bacon recipe that is not too salty or smoky, try soaking the bacon in water overnight or hot smoking it.
These methods will help to remove some of the saltiness or smokiness from the bacon and make it more enjoyable to eat.
Why make bacon at home?
Smoked slicing bacon Making bacon at home is not only a delicious way to start your day, but it also allows you to control the quality of the meat.
When you buy bacon at the store, you have no way of knowing how long it has been cured or smoked. However, when you make bacon at home, you can choose the type of meat that you use, as well as the level of smoke and cure.
This allows you to create a product that is customized to your taste. In addition, slicing your bacon gives you more control over the thickness of the slices.
Store-bought bacon is often cut too thick or too thin, but when you slice it yourself, you can achieve the perfect thickness for your breakfast needs.
Finally, making bacon at home is simply more satisfying than buying it from the store. There is something truly gratifying about starting your day with a meal that you have created from scratch.
So if you are looking for a delicious breakfast option that also offers superior quality and control, try making bacon at home.
Traditional bacon: Pork belly, salt, sugar, smoke
Traditional bacon is made from pork belly. The belly is cured with a mixture of salt, sugar, and spices. Then hot smoked until cooked through. The result is a delicious, salty, and slightly sweet bacon that pairs perfectly with eggs and toast.
Hot smoking allows the bacon to retain its moisture, making it juicy and tasty. When done properly, hot smoking also gives the bacon a beautiful pink color and a slightly smoky flavor.
Whether you’re using it to make a bacon sandwich or garnish a salad, traditional bacon is a delicious way to add flavor to your meal.
Flavor variations: Applewood, maple, hickory
Finding the perfect smoke flavor for your meat can be a challenge, but it’s worth it for the perfect barbecue. There are a few different types of wood that can be used for smoking, each with its unique flavor.
Experiment with different woods to find the one that best suits your taste.
Applewood smoked bacon has a sweet and fruity flavor that is perfect for breakfast dishes. The wood imparts a delicate flavor that is not too overpowering, making it a good choice for those who are new to smoking meats.
Maple smoked bacon has a rich and sweet flavor that pairs well with both savory and sweet dishes. The wood imparts a deep flavor that can be enjoyed by both experienced smokers and those new to smoking meats.
Hickory smoked bacon has a strong, smoky flavor that is perfect for those who enjoy bold flavors. The wood imparts a deep flavor that can be enjoyed by both experienced smokers and those new to smoking meats.
Cherry-smoked bacon has a sweet and fruity flavor that is perfect for breakfast dishes. The wood imparts a delicate flavor that is not too overpowering, making it a good choice for those who are new to smoking meats.
Making your bacon: Cure pork belly, cold smoke
Making your bacon is a delicious way to get the most out of your pork belly. The process of curing pork belly helps to preserve the meat while infusing it with a rich, smoky flavor.
To make your bacon, start by curing the pork belly in a mixture of salt, sugar, and spices.
Then, cold-smoke the pork belly for several hours. It will give the bacon a deep, smoky flavor that is perfect for cooking or enjoying on its own.
Finally, slice the bacon and enjoy! Making your bacon is a fun and rewarding process that yields delicious results.
Describing the process: What you’ll need.
The process of smoking bacon has been around for centuries, and it is still a popular way to preserve meat. To smoke bacon, you will need a few pieces of equipment:
- A smoker
- Wood chips
- A butcher’s twine
- A curing salt
- The smoker will need to be big enough to fit the amount of bacon you want to smoke.
- You will need to soak the wood chips in water for at least an hour before using them.
- Once the bacon is cured with the salt, it can be wrapped in butcher’s twine and hung in the smoker.
- The smoked bacon will need to be cooked before it can be eaten, so be sure to check the instructions that come with your smoker.
- With a little patience, you can enjoy delicious smoked bacon that has been made using an age-old method.
Step By Step process of homemade Smoked Bacon
For anyone who loves the taste of smoked bacon but doesn’t want to spend the money on store-bought, here’s a guide to smoking bacon at home.
- The first step is to choose the right cut of pork belly. Look for a piece that is evenly thick with no large pockets of fat.
- Next, cure the meat by covering it in a salt and sugar mixture. It can be done simply by combining equal parts salt and sugar, or you can use a pre-made curing mix.
- Once the pork belly is cured, rinse it off and dry it thoroughly. Then, it’s time to smoke the bacon.
- The best way to do this is with a smoker, but you can also use a charcoal grill or even your oven. Simply set the temperature to low and place the pork belly on the grates.
- Add some wood chips for flavor, and allow the bacon to smoke for about 6 hours. Once it’s done, remove the bacon from the heat and allow it to cool slightly before slicing and enjoying.
How To Smoke bacon At home
When you’re finished curing your pork belly, it should be rinsed and placed back in the fridge with a layer of foil or plastic wrap on top. It will allow time for the bacon to develop pesky sticky skin called pellicles.
It forms when meats are air-dried at room temperature before smoking them again. This process helps hold onto all those delicious flavors from smoke inhalation!
You should leave yours out overnight if possible, but 12-24 hours is good for better taste.
It’s time to make some bacon! I like using apple wood for smoking, but you can also use maple and hickory. To get started, fire up your grill at the temperature of 165 degrees F until they’re nice and done (about 20-30 minutes).
I hope that helps!!!
Smoke delicious, tender pork belly for about 5-6 hours until it reaches 155F! You must have branded thermometer to check the internal temperature of cooking meat.
It will give you an accurate reading of temperature and save you time. I recommended using branded ThermoWorks Thermometers as they are durable and accurate based on my experience.
My favorite part about cooking is slicing it into pork and feeling that succulent fat under my fingers. The smell of smoky bacon frying fills the air.
Filling me with memories from our last meal together before we go our separate ways for summer vacation. It’s hard not to cut up some fresh meat right away- it tastes so good!
But if you may have some patience, you can chill the smoked bacon before slicing. It will be easy for you to slice once it is cold. You can try a meat slicer if you have one. Otherwise, You could also use a knife as I did.
Tips for the perfect bacon
It’s important to cook bacon properly so that it is crispy and not greasy. Here are some tips for cooking perfect bacon every time!
- Choose the right bacon. There are many different types of bacon, from traditional pork bacon to turkey bacon and even vegan bacon. Select the type of bacon that you prefer.
- Cut the bacon into strips. Cut the bacon into strips that are about 1-inch thick. This will help the bacon cook evenly.
- Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit before cooking the bacon.
- Place the bacon on a wire rack. Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet, and then place the bacon strips on the wire rack. This will help the bacon cook evenly and prevent it from sticking to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Bake the bacon for 20 minutes or until it, is crisp and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Once the bacon is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before eating.
- Enjoy! Bacon is best enjoyed when it is fresh out of the oven, so be sure to enjoy it while it is still hot!
How long to smoke bacon?
When it comes to smoking bacon, there is no set rule on how long to do so. However, as a general guideline, bacon should be smoked for two to three hours at a temperature of 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
This will ensure that the bacon is cooked through and has a nice flavor.